Sunday, May 2, 2010

heaven in a baking dish.

Let's not talk about how I've been away for so long. Instead, lets focus on my new favorite dessert, pani popo. I mean, I've always loved me a good coconut bun here and there, but there is something about making your own, catching the smell of them as they come out the oven and dishing out a (not so) healthy serving of freshly baked doughy, coconut creamy, mouthwatering, gooey goodness that gets your heart jumping and your taste buds in a frenzy.

So here's how mine turned out yesterday:

Not bad for a first time. They are a winner in our house and I would make more if they didn't take so long to prepare. Still, they are totally worth the wait.

4 comments:

Angela said...

I want.

Whenever I make these I get impatient and rush the rising times...often with disastrous consequences. I think it's a better idea for you to just make them for me. Moving here first is optional.

Ana said...

Kylie - your pagi popo look slightly cinnamon bun-ish. Nice going. My Mum usually uses regularly cream in place of coconut cream - for palusami, taro etc - a totally passable (and cheaper) substitute in my opinion.

On my mission there was a Samoan elder from NZ who used to make Pagi Popo for us weekly every Friday District Meeting - YUM! One time he made them though and it tasted like he had made the creamy sauce with paint stripper (not that I know what paint stripper tastes like - suffice it to say it was burn your nose hairs FOUL!!!) - because I was the other kiwi in the district it was sort of wordlessly decided that I would have to be the one to break it to him. Totally sucked!

Kyz said...

Hi AmiZOOKey! Im enjoying your blog btw. I read your comment and thought mmm, cinnamon buns. I will be attempting to make thOSe one day!

And lovely Ange, I too have to work on rising times and I guess overall presentation. I went into a bakery the other day and their coconut buns looked too perfect. It caused me to sigh. I would love to share my buns with you anytime ;-P

Ana said...

Your bakery has COCONUT buns?!? My problem with pagi popo is I almost ALWAYS seem to have all this spare space in the dish (where no buns cover the dish) and then in that part the the sauce just burns to the bottom and ruins it all...I need to find me the perfect pagi popo dish eh?
The funniest thing about it all is probably that I didn't get my pagi popo recipe from my Mum even though she's Samoan. Nope my palagi mother in law gave it to me! The guys are always love to hassle me about this :P

(oh and it's Ana - I cheat and have two seperate blogs - glad you're enjoying my blog!)