Sunday, May 9, 2010

the Mother of all days (in a calendar year).

If you are a friend of mine on Facebook, and have read my latest status update, you will know that I was showered with chocolate and stuffed full with pancakes this morning. I was also given an extra hour to sleep in, alone, in our super king sized bed. It was glorious.

I'm sure I mentioned that I was given some artwork from my children. But this wasnt your run of the mill drawing on a piece of card. Oh no. What I loved most about my arty crafty gift was not just the scribbles made by my 17 month old son, nor the block letters reading "Happy mothers day Mummy" carefully written and colored in by my husband, but the fact that it was drawn onto a piece of stretched canvas in cheap $2 shop coloring in pencils. If thats not thinking outside the gift giving square, then I dont know what is. Loved it.

As I reflect on the almost 4 years I've been a mother, naturally I think of how fast the time has flown. The challenges I have faced and lessons I've learned during that time have taught me to let go of the little things, focus on whats important and be how I want my kids to be when they're older. Sure, it sounds easier said than done, but I've realized more than ever, if my kids cant rely on me when they need me most, then who will be there for them if not me?

So its thanks to the wonderful person who thought of celebrating mothers day. Its probably the one day in the year that makes me forget about the time I nearly lost it in the supermarket because Ash wouldn't get up off the ground unless she got that lolly on the shelf. I forgot about that time I went into the kitchen and found all the eggs smashed on the kitchen floor. And I most definitely forgot about that drawing I found on Ashers bedroom floor done in black vivid pen no less.

Ok, so I totally just remembered. But you know, it doesnt even matter. Instead I think more of the times Asher has run to me every time she's fallen over at the playground, and that time she cried when she knew I was sad. I remember the time my little boy grabbed hold of my leg when a stranger came to our doorstep. And I most definitely remember the time he first spoke the word "mama" (on purpose) and said I love you with his eyes. Today reminded me of how dear my little ones are and how lucky Eden and I are to be watching these tiny humans grow and learn and enjoy lives of their own.

Of course mine is the perspective of a mother with little children. And I'm sure that when they grow up to be teenagers that answer back and dont come home on time, I will readily send them to grandma's house so I can pull myself together. Ha ha. But seriously, hopefully when that time does come I will remember then like I cherish now, that I do and will always love my children and never forget how wonderful it is to have little people like mine in my life.

No comments: